Oksapmin to Australia: Dreams, Anxiety, and Comforts


One of PX birds that started my thousand miles voyage

In the enchanting village of Oksapmin, hidden among mist-kissed mountains, I, hailing from one of Papua New Guinea's most secluded corners, found myself hurtling into an otherworldly adventure as I embarked on my inaugural journey to Australia. In this remote sanctuary where the sight of cars is as scarce as gold, the idea of boarding a Boeing 737 felt like a page lifted from a whimsical tale.

Life in Oksapmin stood in stark contrast to the bustling cities and modern amenities that lay beyond its secluded borders. Even with my stint in Kiunga for work, where accessibility saw a slight uptick, the chasm between my modest origins and the cosmopolitan allure of Australia remained vast. However, fortune bestowed its favor upon me, defying all odds, as I clinched a coveted scholarship that handed me a ticket to Melbourne for a two-year postgraduate sojourn—a privilege that secured my place among PNG's distinguished top 99 awardees in 2015.

As a wide-eyed child, my teachers, with unwavering optimism, painted vivid portraits of triumphant Papua New Guineans who had ventured beyond our shores. The tales of overseas triumphs fueled our aspirations, and the fact that two Lapin brothers, my kin, were thriving in Australia only intensified my longing to tread in their footsteps. Yet, as the departure date loomed, instead of jubilation, an unsettling anxiety clung to my heart. The prospect of navigating an unfamiliar land with 98 strangers cast a shadow over the anticipation.

Leaving Kiunga behind, I journeyed to Port Moresby and found myself ensconced at the Crown Plaza Hotel. While the luxury of top-notch accommodation would typically evoke excitement, that night, the culinary offerings failed to satiate my appetite, and sleep remained a fleeting companion. The impending 6 am flight, transiting through Brisbane, added another layer of unease, prompting me to seek solace from my brother Nic.

After countless anxious glances at my messenger app, Nic's reassuring message finally arrived, providing a balm for some of my apprehensions. Boarding the drop-off bus to the international airport, I observed the effervescent excitement of my fellow scholars. Yet, within me, a weight persisted—a sense of venturing into the unknown alone.

The pre-departure meeting had advised currency exchange at the airport, and my 1500 kina morphed into a meagre $750, a stark reminder of the vast economic disparity. Guided by more seasoned scholars, I navigated immigration, strolled through the departure hall, and stepped onto the plane. To my surprise, a familiar face, my former university lecturer, offered reassurance, briefly dispelling my fears.

As the plane ascended into the sky, I succumbed to exhaustion, awakening only for a warm breakfast. The descent into Australia unfolded a panorama of well-tended lands, bustling roads, and towering skyscrapers—a stark departure from the rugged beauty of Oksapmin. Touching down in Brisbane, the organized chaos of the airport, though unfamiliar, hinted at the efficiency that defined Australian infrastructure.

Navigating immigration, my anxiety peaked until a familiar voice in the crowd whispered, "eto," dissolving my worries. Five years had elapsed since my last meeting with Nic when he returned to Port Moresby for holidays, and his presence became a comforting anchor in this foreign sea.

Nic, cognizant of my same-day transit, offered to drive us to the Departure Terminal, emphasizing the sheer scale of Brisbane's airport. At the Qantas check-in, the impeccable customer service further contrasted with my experiences in PNG. Nic treated me and my lecturer to our first Australian meal, a far cry from the frugal offerings of my homeland.

As we bid farewell to Nic and embarked for Melbourne, the realization that half our group split for Sydney heightened the sense of entering uncharted territory. Arriving at Melbourne Tullamarine International Airport, I joined my university cohort, and the bustling airport activities affirmed that I had indeed arrived in Australia, poised to begin a new chapter of discovery.

Vast airport complex at Brisbane Airport, Australia

An organised chaos that plays a pivotal role in developed countries. Brisbane Airport tarmac. 


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post